Salmonella bacteria were found by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) in three batches of MDH’s sambar masala.
The USFDA said in a release that lot code 108, 47 and 48 are the three lots which have been manufactured by R-Pure Agro Specialities and were sold by House of Spices (India). It was distributed in northern California retail stores.
USFDA added in the release that to be positive for Salmonella, this product was tested by FDA through a certified laboratory.
For a full refund, FDA has now urged consumers to return the contaminated masala packets to the place of purchase.
MDH, being universal in Indian kitchens, it is known for selling various spice mixes which are key to Indian cooking.
“After the FDA discovered that the salmonella contaminated products were distributed, the recall was initiated,” It was not immediately clear if the recall was voluntary, or what the source of the contamination was.
One of the most common bacterial foodborne illnesses called salmonellosis is caused by the consumption of food contaminated with Salmonella. Diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever within 12 to 72 hours after eating the contaminated product are the most common symptoms of salmonellosis. The USFDA has warned that the illness usually lasts 4 to 7 days.
However, in some people, diarrhea may be so severe that the patient needs to be hospitalized. People with weakened immune systems, older adults, infants are more likely to develop a severe illness.